Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Book Review - Beading with Filigree


Beading with Filigree
by Cynthia Deis
I impatiently waited all summer to order this book. Once it arrived it has been on the top of my bead book pile as I frequently turn to it when I'm in need of a shot of inspiration. Cynthia's book starts off with an in depth "Filigree Primer" filled with the history of filigree, the styles, metals and finishes. The chapter on "Getting Started" introduces you to the cast of beads used in the book along with some great little tips and hints. The book is presented in an encouraging format with an emphasis on your own creativity.
The "Basic Techniques" gives you the how and why of using different types of filigree. Along with jewelry-making basics, there are informative tips for working with the filigree and a few ways to treat the surface, like heat treating and painting. Painting filigree, OMG, you have to see the Lucille necklace. You'll be pulling out the spray paint before you know it!
The rest of the book focuses on step-by-step projects that vary from simple earrings to complex asymmetrical necklaces. The designs range from delicate to bold. The techniques cover stringing to embellishing filigree with seed beads, so there is something for every one's tastes. While the projects focus on beads that are more readily available, each design could benefit from adding in your favorite art beads! I highly recommend adding this to your bead book library.

You can find the book and many of the supplies used in the projects at Ornamentea.

Don't forget, midnight is the deadline to enter the September Filigree Challenge. You could win a signed copy of Beading with Filigree!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to win this boook !!! Please I LOVE Filigree!! I have always loved working with these decorative pieces of metal I can't get enough of it in my projects!! I can work them together with my polymer clay so you see I have to win this book because I know I would truly bring the beauty of this book to life with my ideas . I love this site and have lots of respect for all the ladies and their crafts but this time you just have to pick me!! Thank You !!